March is National Nutrition Month! The focus of this campaign is to bring attention to the importance of making healthy choices and developing wide-ranging and physical activity habits.
This year’s theme is, “Go Further with Food.” As mentioned by the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, “whether it’s starting the day off right with a healthy breakfast or fueling before an athletic event, the foods you choose can make a real difference. Preparing your foods to go further, by planning meals and snacks in advance can also help to reduce food loss and waste.”
To do our part for National Nutrition Month here are some ideas for snack that are healthy, nutritious, and fun for the whole family to have.
Fresh Fruit Burritos
4 6-inch flour Tortillas
4 tablespoons creamy Peanut butter
1/4 cup fresh Blueberries
4 tablespoons vanilla Yogurt
- Wash fresh blueberries.
- For each burrito, spread 1 tablespoon peanut butter evenly on a flour tortilla to within 1/2 inch of edge. Onto each tortilla distribute in a line along the center 1/4 sliced banana and approx. 1 tablespoon blueberries. Drizzle 1 tablespoon vanilla yogurt over the fruit.
- Carefully fold one side of tortilla over the fruit, tucking the edge under the fruit so it’s not too loosely packed. Roll the folded & tucked portion of the burrito towards the other side; the peanut butter will help hold it together.
- If desired for small children, cut the burrito in half crosswise, using a diagonal cut. Enjoy!
1 cup shredded Cheddar Cheese
1/2 cup finely chopped fresh Broccoli
1/2 cup finely chopped fresh Corn
2 tablespoon Picante sauce or Salsa
4 corn or flour Tortillas (6 to 7 inch)
1 teaspoon Butter, divided
- Combine cheese, broccoli, corn, and picante sauce in small bowl; mix well.
- Spoon 1/4 of the cheese mixture onto 1 side of each tortilla; fold tortilla over filling.
- Melt 1/2 tsp. butter in 10-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add 2 quesadillas; cook about 2 minutes on each side or until tortillas are golden brown and cheese is melted.
- Repeat with remaining butter and quesadillas. Cool completely.