When your child returns to school, it can often mean a renewed exposure to germs and unexpected injuries. Here is AFC Urgent Care’s back-to-school health kit: a complete list of the portable tools and items that can make the school day much healthier, without much effort on your part. This health kit can fit in your child’s backpack, or can be carried to school like a lunch bag or purse.
- Hand sanitizer and/or cleansing wipes. Children can get their hands into some dirty things, and you want your child to have a quick and easy way to clean up. These are portable and easy-to-use options to help them keep clean. Learning can be messy, but your child doesn’t have to wear the mess home! During the flu season, visit our center to get a complimentary hand sanitizer.
- Band-Aid. We all need a Band-Aids because at some point there will be a scratch, poke or burn no matter how safe our kids are at school.
- Facial tissues. A runny nose can spread germs like wildfire, so have them bring a small pack of tissues with them in their health kit. When your child manages to keep a cold to themselves instead of spreading it around the classroom, their teachers will thank you.
- Any medications or special items. This can include an inhaler, contact lens solution or anything that your child might need throughout the day. Having these items on hand will give your child a feeling of independence, and help them begin to take charge of their health when they’re away from you. Please check with your school nurse if this is acceptable as every district has their own rules.
- Family emergency plan. A parent’s greatest fear is that their child will be caught up in a scary situation with no way to reach them. In the event of an emergency, you want your child to be able to contact you or know how and who to reach out for help.
With a back-to-school health kit, you can be sure that your child will be able to stay healthy during the school day. Your child will have the tools to be independent, and you will have peace of mind knowing that your child is being kept safe. AFC Urgent Care is open every day and no appointment is ever needed.