Frostbite is when the skin and tissue below freeze. This affects areas which are small and exposed such as fingers, nose, and ears. It can vary from mild to severe. Typically, it can be treated by reheating the skin with warm water or a warm washcloth. Severe frostbite requires medical attention. Follow these tips to prevent frostbite:
- Avoid spending a long time outsside
- If you do need to be outside, try to warm up frequently inside.
- Dress in layers and cover your ears with a hat or earmuffs
- Mittens have shown to be better than gloves when it comes to warmth.
- Make sure to wear dry clothes. Change your clothes ASAP if your clothes become wet.
- Watch for signs of frostbite. Mild frostbite is easier to treat and more likely to be reversed than severe frostbite.
If you have any signs of frostbite, visit AFC Urgent Care in Bridgeport CT. Our walk in center is available for treatment. We offer extended hours and feature low to no wait times. Visit our center at 161 Boston Ave in Bridgeport CT or call us today at 203-333-4400.